Being a Photographer is Being a Problem Solver

I like solving problems.  There I said it.  Now, I didn't say I like solving "every" problem but there are many I do like to solve. The other day I realized that I have been this way my whole life.  I was an engineering CAD designer in an earlier life, which on a normal day could involve designing electrical systems, plumbing, HVAC, concrete pads, conveyor systems, etc...but mostly it was solving problems. I spent several years in advertising, again solving problems. Branding, composing ads, bunting campaigns, etc, you've got it...solving problems.  I was in sales for a number of years.  What problem did I have to solve you may ask.  All I did was solve problems.  My customers would almost always have a problem with our chemical products in their systems and I would have to balance the system.  Before we moved to McKinney, we spent 5 years in Peru, IN and my days were spent restoring a nearly 100 year old mansion that had multiple problems.  Ah, there's that word again, and yes...I think you understand the next words, so I won't belabor the point.

When I became serious about photography years ago I never realized the problem solving aspect of photography.  But just about everything in photography is solving a problem.  Subject is too bright, subject is too dark, background is busy, subject is not separated from background, subject isn't sharp enough, etc.  Not to mention composition, and color harmony.  There are a lot of problems to solve...and I love every bit it.  

In February, I was asked to help do the photos for the annual school auction. The head person called me give me the theme, Heroes and Villains, and they had a background and a phone booth, and that was about the extent of information I was given.  Oh, and I had to shoot groups of kids from each grade and could I combine all the kids in one grade together with the background, you know like a panorama?

Here is what I had to work with.  I requested to be up on the stage so that I could have some control over the lighting.

Obviously, the background was not large enough to accomplish our goal, so I took this shot as a reference shot to manipulate later.

Here is what I looked like with the kids.  Of course another problem arose, one of my speedlights started malfunctioning, so I was limited to one light bounced into a large umbrella.


46 different groups came in front of camera.  The costumes were great and so were the kids.  It was fun shoot.

Later in the week I was asked if I could make it look this stamp.



The only way I could see to make all of this work was to extract every element out on its own layer and then add them back in on top of an expanded background and an additional asphalt road (found on Google).  I extracted the kids using Topaz ReMask 4.  I can not say enough great things about this program, it cut my time by more than half.  The stamp effect was created using stroke and and a modified brush in Photoshop.   The 1957 was added because it is the year the school was established and the Batman like search light was also added for effect.  The SPS stands for Saint Paul the Apostle School.  The comic look was achieved using NIK Software HDR Efex Pro 2.  I recorded an action in Photoshop to reduce the several different layers and actions required to get the look. This kept each shot consistent, along with reducing time.  BWC did a great job printing the 8x12 finished prints (thanks Anthony) for me.  Here is one of the finished products.  



Problem solving, you betcha! A lot of problems. One thing that wasn't a problem were all these great kids. They were the best part of the whole process.  
Is it my best composite?  Not even close.  Are things I would improve?  Don't get me started.  When I look at this I see many elements that could have been changed or improved. But with 46 images to finish in 2 weeks I was lucky to even finish them at all.  I stayed up all night before sending to the printer.

The bottom line is that in the initial phase of selling these to parents the school netted $1,500 profit.  They are going to go through another sale to catch those parents that weren't at the auction, potentially even more profit.  That sounds like success to me.

If you ask me, I think the problem was solved.

Comments