This is my mom in hospice care at a nursing home, 9 days before she was called home and joined Dad. It was special day because everyone is a small family was there to celebrate this moment…a day to celebrate Shirley.  Because of the Morphine she would be lucid for a few minutes, sound fairly cogent and then relapse into babbling.  This was one of her "better" moments.  I am proud that I was able to capture her in this way, smiling.  When growing up Mom liked a good laugh and would often tell jokes or funny stories that she read in the Reader's Digest.

This past week I honored her a different way.  Every year the McKinney Magazine has a photo contest in which I always enter.  This was one of the 6 allowable entries.  My wife said that this image was "too personal"  and probably wouldn't win.  As it turns out I won 1st place and I couldn't be happier that it was with the image.  Mom would be proud…Dad too.



Comments